Admin staff: Hello, Nick? There seems to be some problem with your
work permit.
Nick: Oh?
Admin staff: Yes, it looks like you will need to go abroad to renew
your visa to give us some extra time to work on your permit.
Nick:
Hmm, OK. How long do I have until it expires?
Admin staff: It expires on Monday. You have until then to renew it.
Nick: But
it's Wednesday.
Admin staff: Hmm, yes, thank you.
Chris: You get this news about your visa too?
Nick: Yeah, bullshit huh?
Chris: Eh, whatever...Bulgaria?
Nick: Bulgaria.
--------------------------------------------------
Instead of getting upset at the fact that we had just a few days to
leave the country and reenter on a new visa, Chris and I were turning
this obligatory border run into a little mini-holiday. We all had
Thursday and Friday off so we headed out on Wednesday night. Other
colleagues had mentioned taking the train to Bulgaria so we formed a
gruesome six-some: Chris, Lee, Layla, Aaron, Alethea, and I booked
tickets on the night train to Plovdiv, Bulgaria.
Lee, Layla and Aaron were co-workers of mine. Lee, from the UK, and
Layla, from Kentucky, were a married couple looking to spend a couple
of quiet days at a winery and Aaron was always looking for an excuse
to go to Bulgaria. To quote Aaron, “Bulgaria is by far the best
thing about Turkey.” Alethea was also no stranger to Bulgaria and
was always looking for an excuse for a border jaunt.
As it turned out, Alethea was instrumental in me acquiring my present
position at Bilgi. I met her where all friendships seem to be forged
in Istanbul: at a pub. She was a friend of my girlfriend’s at the
time and we got to talking. We talked about this and that and then
somehow got around to talking about how I had recently sent in an
application to Bilgi University and without really knowing me very
well, she offered to put in a good word for me to Aaron. When Aaron
asked Alethea if she knew me well or could vouch for me in any
capacity, it was a resounding no on both accounts. But despite this,
she felt that I was a good guy based on the truncated time we had
shared in each others' company up to that point. A risky assessment
and maybe something most people would not have done given the same
circumstances.
So then there were six: Chris, Lee, Layla, Aaron, Alethea and I. As
any good overnight train travel should start, ours started at the bar
opposite the train's departure platform. Shots were taken, cheers
were given and memories had already begun to slip into that
precarious area of drunkenness that makes memory recovery incredibly
unlikely. The train straining out of the station set the pace of the
trip and forged our path on a collision course with calamity. While
many things have been left in the drunken haze of Bulgaria, a few
finer points were remembered that can be succinctly summed up as
words of advice and caution to future Bulgaria border run travelers
below:
- Pork binges should be undertaken with care and responsibility. If this is not abided by you will undoubtedly be asked to pay for these past transgressions of gluttony in the most uncomfortable of ways.
- Apprehension to co-ed nudity is over-rated. The things that are figuratively and literally allowed to hang out in a good old fashion naked sauna session amongst good wine, great cheese and better jokes is something everyone should experience.
- The high tides of energy and waves of anticipation that accompany the start of a trip of this design can never be replicated on the return trip home. The laughing, smiling, pork-devouring group that you may have encountered in the first hours of the motivated march towards Bulgaria would be reduced to a slow-witted, under-slept, physically and mentally afflicted group who sat in complete discomfort without uttering 1 coherent sentence for the 8 hour duration of the trip back to Istanbul.
The ride up was great. We had erred on the side of caution and made
sure that we were not lacking in the alcoholic beverage department
for the trip. We had music, a deck of cards and our passports. We
were sorted. As the night progressed, Lee and Layla retired to their
sleeping birth, Aaron slipped away into the comatose state he is
known to frequent while Alethea, Chris and I stayed up talking and
laughing about things that to this day not one of us can recall. We
all woke up the next day with the vague recollection of a time well
spent and the stomach muscle aches from laughing to match. Many
attempts have been made to recount the events of the night to no
avail. If there are ever any memories that you want locked away
somewhere inside your mind, never to be rediscovered, you want them
to be these type of memories: the "what you said" and the
"why you said it" being nowhere near as important as the
"who you said it with".
Unbeknownst to any of us, since we were still asleep, our train
pulled into the station 4 hours later than scheduled. We grabbed our
stuff, jumped off the platform and greeted Plovdiv with the most
enthusiasm and energy that we could have possibly mustered at that
point. Plovidv greeted us back with dreariness, dampness and a chill
that cut through the light jacket I had opted to bring. It seemed an
adequate and balanced trade-off. But moods were quickly altered as we
sat down for our first meal of the trip – something or other with
bacon I imagine.
Later on, we made our way to the domestic bus station to take us
outside of the city. Lee and Layla were running the show on this
trip. I really had no idea where we were going or what we were doing
until we were doing it. I carried no baton and offered no advice. I
relinquished all command to the couple's more than capable hands and
I acquiesced to all decisions in the realm of food, drink and
accommodation. I simply slipped into the jet stream of their Lonely
Planet-advised conclusions. We were headed 30 minutes outside of
Plovdiv to a village called Brestovitsa. Apparently Brestovitsa had a
popular winery called Todoroff Winery.
Now, I will make one more reference to the advice I listed above. If
you ever find yourself in close proximity to a sauna and a bar, tread
with caution. Though sauna nakedness is advised, extended sauna naked
sessions with alcohol is not. If you disregard this morsel of advice,
I will have no sympathy for you when you have a debilitating hangover
and are reduced to a quivering pile of foetus-positioned patheticness
under a shower faucet whose water is no longer warm but you have yet
to figure out a way to quell the vomit that seems to make its way up
through your body whenever you try to move out of the shower's direct
trajectory of cold water. You have been warned.
The days were spent walking around the countryside, getting massages
and touring wineries. Touring wineries, I have found out, is
completely and utterly wasted on me. Not only do I not care about how
many years the casks have been fermenting or which forest fruit has
been infused into the vintage (I always thought it was just grape!)
but I feel that a lifetime spent with an omnivorous approach to all
things food and drink has left me with a lack luster palette that can
no longer astutely distinguish between the subtleties of different
wines.
The nights were spent eating and drinking which then lead to
monologue speeches, Celine Dion renditions, and an arrival at the
idea that sometimes you'd rather be doing a tough crossword than
receiving oral sex.
The last day of our trip was spent back in Plovdiv's city center
walking around its downtown promenade and buying pork for the return
trip. It was somewhere along this walk that we discussed our
respective tenures in Turkey and my relative newness in comparison.
It could be surmised like this:
Alethea: 10 years
Chris and Aaron: 6 years
Lee and Layla: 3 years
Myself: 1.5 years
I guess, not illogically, I was the least jaded, badly influenced and
disgruntled by Turkey due to my newbie status. As with any other
place, Turkey can get to people after awhile. The glaring differences
in culture and traditions become more and more irritable and require
more and more patience. Our walk around Bulgaria had everyone talking
about how amazing Bulgaria is compared to Turkey and how no one
wanted to go back. Any love I had for the country was merely because
I hadn't been there long enough. They equated it to me starting a new
relationship with someone they had all previously dated. I was on
cloud nine about her, excited about the new trajectory my life had
started on but they all knew that she has been fucked 6 ways from
Sunday.
Being an expatriate does not come without its difficulties. Whether
it be cultural, religious, interpersonal or just plain inexplicable,
problems arise that test your patience, virtue, and ability to be
flexible and thick-skinned. The odd expat rant about the country you
are living in is common. Everyone does it. Reasons may differ for the
ranting but they seem to boil down to only a handful of reasons in
the end. Homesickness, love life, language barriers, lack of critical
thinking skills, laziness, etc. This is a list of what an expat
might deal with, but I imagine that if you lived somewhere else, you
would have a list with different qualms on it as well. Its in our
nature. We bitch.
So what keeps it all together on the bad days? The days when nothing
is going well and you want to pack a bag and move home? Go somewhere
where you don't have to buy your groceries in a different language or
(if you are a girl) get harassed by taxi drivers and shop owners. Why
put up with the bad when its list of complaints gets to be so long?
Growing up, my dad used to say, "Wherever you go, there you
are." Growing up, this was just some annoyingly old sounding
thing my dad would say; proving how out of touch with everything he
was by saying nonsensical things to me and my siblings. But now,
looking back, it's almost as if dad had been around for some time and
knew a thing or two about a thing or two. It was less annoyingly old
sounding and a lot more patriarchal awesomeness. I am not sure at
what age I started to understand it to be less of the former and more
of the latter, but I wish it had been earlier.
Wherever you go, you take your personality, interests, skills,
adorable idiosyncrasies, worries, fears, laughter and anecdotes with
you. You are a fitting receptacle for like-minded people to share all
of these things with - you just have to find them. Wherever you
go, there you are, and when you get there, people gravitate towards
one another. Whether romantically or platonically, people gravitate
towards one another in an attempt to seek people out that they want
to share meals with, flats with, or in our case, cabin berths. The
"what" and the "how" matter very little compared
to the "who". The "who" gets us through it. The
"who" makes it all worth it. The "who" is what
matters.
I wrote the beginning of this story shortly after coming back from
Bulgaria in 2010 (thus the incorrect amount of time that I said I
have lived in Turkey), but didn't sit down to write the end of it
until recently. I guess if I had, it would have been a completely
different story from the one I had started several years ago. I
suppose although some things have not changed at all since then,
other things have changed quite a bit. I have been back to Bulgaria
several times (but never to that winery) and every time I go, I
understand more and more about what they were all talking about back
then - I still love living here, but the occasional jaded frustration
will make itself known.
In the years following this trip, most of the
original six-some has left Turkey. We are now down to 2: Me and
Alethea. This is another thing that expats have to learn to deal
with. Friends leave. People you spend months or years getting to know
get new jobs and leave. I have no pictures of this trip (no idea why)
but I recollect the events fondly. I might not remember what we
talked about, but I remember the "who" - and the strained
stomach muscles. Alethea and I have spent the last several years
justifying what she seemed to know about me on the first night we
met: I was worthy of a recommendation for a job and of a subsequent
friendship that would validate that recommendation for years to
come.
Wherever you go, there you are. And there are your friends. And that
is enough.







0 comments:
Post a Comment