“So you must be Oracle then, right?” I asked,
pointing my pen at the student in front of me. I had my pen poised and ready to
mark a check mark next to his name on my clipboard attendance sheet.
I couldn’t really tell if I was thrown off
by their ridiculous sounding names or the fact that I was staring at 25
bespectacled and attentive students. The students were poised and ready with
open notebooks and sharpened pens watching me fumble through their names. I
stood at the front of a classically arranged classroom with row after row of
students and me at the pedestal in the front of the class. The classroom was
pristine with nothing but notebook ands dictionaries on the desks.
“Jasmine, Jamie, Jericho…hmmmm.”
I had no idea. I thought I knew their names
but they all look the…
“I know!” I thought to myself, “A joke!”
“Wow, something must be keeping you around
then,” Becky said, happy to know that this gig might not be as bad as she had
thought.
“Yeah, I have my reasons. I’m sure if you
make it through your first month you will find yours as well,” he said with a
shrug, implying that this place is not for everyone.
Joe took us to his favorite restaurant in
the village: a small place with cold beer and delicious food. We ate, got the
run-down about the job, and got to know each other a bit more.
This was a theme that did not stop with
Joe. Every day we met more and more people that welcomed us in so unbelievably
warmly. People were there to answer any of our questions, invite us out for
beers, tell us where the best markets were, and bring us into the fold of their
community. Becky and I even coined a term for it: “being miracled”. And we
weren’t only being miracle at Hui Jia. Everywhere we went, foreigners were
going out of their way and above and beyond to help us, make us feel more
comfortable, and make sure we got where we needed to go. We talked about this
recently with some friends at the bar and someone summed it up like this:
“No teacher, I am Oracle,” a voice
accompanying a raised hand said from across the room, nowhere near where I was.
“Oh, right. So is it Skipper then?” I
scanned through my attendance sheet without any idea who this student was.
“No teacher, that’s me,” another hand in
another quadrant of the classroom.
I was five minutes into my first class. I
had just spent the last 20 minutes before class looking over their ID card
pictures to make a good impression with my class by putting faces to names. I
was failing.
“Ok, we have a Jasmine, a Jamie, and a
Jericho. Don’t tell me, don’t tell me, I got this,” I said almost pleading with
them. I could sense them willing me to get it right, to ease the tension and
end this torturous introduction.
I felt out of my element. I was off-kilter
in a way I am not accustomed to in the classroom. I had no go-to shticks to
break the ice like I did in Turkey and the culturally appropriate jokes and
play-on-words I used in Turkey would be of no help to me here. I was floundering.
“Has anyone every told you guys that
Chinese people’s names all look and sound alike?”
So there we have it folks. The introduction
to the first class I would have on the first day of my new job in China. A
borderline racist joke told by a sweating, fumbling bald guy awkwardly wearing
a tie he had just learned how to tie and belting out culturally insensitive
jokes because he didn’t know who Skipper, Oracle, and Jericho were.
| Add caption |
Well guys, it has been about a month here
so I wanted to give you all a recap on how it has been going. I meant to do
this a lot sooner but to be honest, Becky and I have just recently come up for
air. Getting used to our new jobs, new social life, and new schedules has been
a bit of a chore but we are finding a rhythm, getting into a groove, and even
have plans to have people over for “Necky Enchiladas.”
Our adventure, as some of you well know,
started out front of our old apartment in Kadikoy, Istanbul with a somewhat teary and a tad bit emotional goodbye (seriously, who cries at goodbyes?)
with some of our closest friends in Turkey. We made our way to the airport with
less than adequate time to spare before we boarded our plane.
Becky, acting as if we were not uprooting ourselves
and our entire lives, promptly fell asleep on my arm where I lay awake for the
entire flight, experiencing all the stages of waking-drunkenness that are
usually reserved for being sprawled out in a dreamless sleep.
We arrived and met our HR correspondent, Emma,
whom we had been corresponding with on a daily basis before we left Turkey.
Emma had us picked up and driven out to the campus where we would call home for
the next couple of years. We arrived bleary
eyed and in dire need of a shower. We were taken to our room in the teacher’s
building and given papers to read and sign. Up to this point, everything felt
as unceremonious and drab as the account of the events I am writing now. Emma
was going through the motions, obviously busy and probably needing to turn
right around and go back to the city to get more new teachers.
Our apartment was surprisingly better than
we had anticipated. We got two adjoining apartments but one would have been big
enough for both of us (except the closet apparently-- Becky told me she would
need the entire space for herself). The kitchen was nice, the bathroom was big,
and the flat screen TV had HBO. Upon closer inspection, we would discover that
the beds were without linen, the bathrooms void of toilet paper, and the water cooler was
bone dry. This was only discovered as Emma was closing the door behind her,
silently taking her leave and scurrying down the hallway before we could volley
anymore questions her way.
![]() |
| Starfish Becky in our bedroom |
Too tired to sleep and not awake enough to
unpack, Becky and I wandered around the campus for a while. Neither one of us
were talking much but I imagine Becky was thinking what I was thinking, which
was what the hell had we gotten ourselves into?
The campus was nice enough; big buildings
with grassy islands and clean walkways. The school was silent as the returning
teachers had not yet returned and all
the new teachers (who had arrived a day before us) were off in the city running
errands.
When I say city, I should explain. Although
we technically live in Beijing, we are quite far away from the city center. Our
campus is on the subway line but with the transfers it takes about an hour and twenty minutes to get to the city center. We
live in an area of Beijing called Chang Ping. Chang Ping is the nearest suburb
so any shopping that needs to be done gets done in Chang Ping.
![]() |
| Campus |
We walked around the empty campus until we
saw someone coming our way. He stopped and introduced himself as Joe. It turned
out that Joe was the teacher that I had been communicating with prior to our
arrival and he had been incredibly helpful. It didn’t stop with emails.
“Are you guys hungry by any chance? I was just
heading into the village,” Joe asked, pointing his thumb over his shoulder,
approximating the direction of the village from our general location.
We both replied without needing to consult
the other.
“This will be my eleventh year at Hui Jia,”
Joe said in response to my question regarding his tenure at the international
school.
We were walking through the neighboring
village that sits between Hui Jia and Chang Ping. The village is a
less-than-sanitary, semi-paved strip of underdeveloped land that inhabits
around 500 people. Walking through the village reminded me a lot of Vietnam -
eateries, food stalls, and shops lined both sides of the street and it was in
constant and dusty motion. The people in the village were going this way and
that, honking their horns, buying their produce, and riding their bikes. It was
about a 10 minute walk from the campus and we had to walk through it to get to
Chang Ping and the restaurant we were going to.
![]() |
| A rainy night out in the village |
As I write this, I realize that I do not
think Joe knows how important he was to Becky and I on our first day in this
place. We were lost, had no toilet paper, and were sleeping bare-bed, using our
clean t-shirts as blankets. He must have sensed that we needed a bit of
reassuring because he took us out for dinner, paid for our bill, then woke up
the next day to take us to Walmart for our essentials.
![]() |
| A Becky Mustache |
“China is a fucked up shit show man.
Without this (air motion of hand with palm down revolving in circular motion
around table of people) we’d all be on the first plane back to wherever the
fuck.”
She teaches elocution.
The school itself, on the other hand, has
taken some getting used to. The Chinese system of doing things makes Turkey
look like Scandinavia. Every little thing that happens around the school has us
asking why they would think that is a good idea or how could they think we can
teach like this.
In the high school, we are all putting
money in squares of a pool to see when the school will fix the photocopier that
has been broken since last spring. As it stands, we all have to go down to the
middle school with several different signed pieces of paper acting as
jumped-through hoops to get copies made for students. Only suckers are betting
on squares for October.
The school is by no means poor by the way.
They have an Olympic size swimming pool, a state-of-the-art gym, and an equestrian
club with 50 horses on campus, and an inflatable dome to enclose all of these
things to protect them in the winter. But I guess you do not have to be in
China long to learn this valuable lesson: A picture of a photocopy machine on a
brochure of a school does not help filling enrollment coffers.
Becky approached the shocking photocopy
situation a bit differently. When she was first told about the photocopying
protocol she went down to the middle school with her appropriate signatures and
whatever document she needed to get copied. She arrived in the room to see
stacks and stacks of paper on tables, a single photocopy machine being unused,
and a Chinese attendant playing on her phone.
“Hello, I’d like to get some copies,
please,” Becky said, extending said copies in her general direction.
“Oh, very busy. Very busy. It will take one
week,” she responded behind a stack of paper, not even moving from her chair to
take the copies from Becky.
“What do you mean? No one is using the
machine. I only need 20 copies.”
“Yes. One week. Very busy.”
Now I do not know exactly what happened
next as Becky has been quite vague about it, but I do know this: Becky got her
copies, the photocopy girl now gives Becky preferential treatment when she
walks into the room, that same day a campus-wide change in policy occurred
regarding teachers receiving codes to be able to use the photocopy machine
themselves, and people whom Becky had yet to meet were calling her “Becky the Bruiser”-- an
aptly placed epithet I might say.
That was on day 1.
So as Becky and I kept reassuring ourselves
in those first days, things are, in fact, getting better. Becky and I both got
promotions. She is a PYP homeroom teacher in grade 1 and I am the head teacher
of IB grade 11 in the Diploma Program of the high school. The students I am
dealing with are so unbelievably talented that it has been a fun challenge to
come up with tough lessons plans for them to complete to keep them engaged and
attentive. I have spent a lot of time in the last few weeks getting accustomed
to the IB curriculum and exam formats and I now have a pretty confident
understanding of how the classes operate.
![]() |
| Lake district of Beijing |
Every time Becky and I go into Chang Ping,
we buy something for our kitchen and apartment, slowing transforming our place
into a cozy home for us. Becky even
found a few western-style grocery stores that have pretty much anything you
could get in America for comparable prices. I have joined a bunch of the
teachers in a volleyball league, I am a part of a club that plays ultimate Frisbee
with 12th graders, and I even joined a hiking club in central
Beijing that takes us out to different places along the unrestored sections of
the wall.
Last weekend, I took the bus about 2 hours
north of the city for a 6 hour hike along a section of the wall that hasn’t
been restored and is well off of the tourist track. It was incredibly beautiful
and unlike anything I have ever done. At times the wall less resembled a wall
and more resembled a ladder, steeply climbing up the mountainside and extending
into the distance out of eyesight. It is something that I have started to do
regularly and hope to one day convince Becky to join me on J
Beijing itself is a ridiculously cool city.
Lots of awesome and old fashioned neighborhoods, beautifully ornate- styled
Chinese houses, and delicious restaurants with any cuisine you could imagine. The
city is speckled with lakes, temples, museums, cool cafes, and bars that sell
things other than Efes and Tubourg and for half the price. Becky and I even
found a micro-brewery that sells bacon cheeseburgers! Score!
Since it is so far away (not that we have
much energy after work anyways) we have been generally staying up in Chang Ping
during the week and staying in hotels in Beijing on Friday and Saturday night.
There is a bar and a couple of restaurants
in the village that we meet up with friends at during the week, but it’s generally
on the weekend that we go out and do things in the city.
![]() |
| Johnathan's birthday |
Just like Vietnam, the Chinese love their
karaoke, so Becky and I have been belting out our ballads on a regular
basis. Last week a bunch of us went to a puzzle palace where they lock you in a
room which is connected to 3 other rooms but to pass through the first room to
get to the next, you have to answer a series of questions. It was awesome, as
long as you don’t have to use the facilities while you are in the room.
Another issue you might be wondering when I
was going to get around to is the pollution. The pollution sucks. Let’s just
get that out there. When we first went to Beijing and stepped out of the metro,
Becky’s and my eyes and nose instantly started burning – apparently on a day
that was not so bad as well. Sometimes it feels like we are enshrined in a
cloudy mist but it’s really just the pollution enveloping the city center.
Luckily, where we are in Chang Ping does not have the same problem (or as bad of
a problem) as the city center. We get lots of blue skies and days that are good
enough to bike around the city and the beautiful parks of Chang Ping.
Regardless, it is something that we have had to get used to but getting out of
the city and going hiking on the weekend has helped me immensely.
![]() |
| Our first day in Beijing's city center. |
Although I have come a long way from my
first day of class and Becky a long way from her threatening the Chinese staff,
not a day goes by where we don’t somehow talk about Turkey or America in some
capacity - the city, our apartment, our families, and all the friends that lie
between. It has been hard going from what we had to Turkey to have to start
over in a new place with new people, but having each other has made all the
difference. We have been keeping busy with IB workshops, lesson planning, and
Chinese lessons but we still have time to stop and think about the lives and
friends we have left behind and hope that everyone is doing well and know that
we miss the shit out of them.

















Nice recap, Nick -- really gives us a glimpse into how things are going. Happy that you have started to form a new family over there and that there are things other than Efes to drink! Though I am a bit concerned that your new school makes Turkey look like Scandinavia.... ;)
ReplyDeletethis was fun to read, keep em comin! -ted
ReplyDelete